Tuesday 20 May 2014

Conflict of Interest

Conflict of Interest

Throughout the past week I have been documenting and analysing what makes me feel comfortable and looking at my own identity. For the VEGA Body (Un) comfortable intervention, I will be changing my appearance and attitude to something that makes me feel uncomfortable. As a person I believe myself to be very relaxed and have a go-with-the-flow attitude. My outward appearance is something that I don’t pay much attention to and couldn’t care less about exercising or keeping healthy. For the next 10 days I will be dressing in a suit and tie and taking on the persona of a hard working stiff. This is something that I feel is completely different to my regular appearance.

During school I was the kid who was walking around with his shirt un-tucked and hair far to long. I didn’t feel comfortable in the formal setting. I would be clawing the desk in anticipation for the final bell to ring, the signal of the end of the day and a chance for me to loosen my constricting tie. Although I haven’t always known what career I wanted to pursue, I have known that it had to be one where I wouldn’t have to wear a suit and tie to work everyday.

Law can be an exiting and rewarding field, but one that requires a lot of dedication and commitment. My father, Ian Topping, has been an advocate for 22 years. In many ways my father and myself are very alike. We both enjoy the same music and share similar interests but I cannot say that I have a strong desire to follow in his footsteps and become an advocate. For years I’ve seen my father leave in the mornings dressed in a suit and tie, wielding a briefcase the size of a house and go out to work his long day. Each day he keeps up the appearance of a hard working dedicated man. This is the inspiration and the image I will be basing my intervention around. For the next 10 days I will be committed to looking smart at all times, taking on a slightly more serious attitude towards people and to certainly feel uncomfortable during the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment