Wednesday 21 May 2014

Monkey Suit

20 May 2014 Tuesday
Day 2

So this morning when rummaging around in my fathers closet in search for shoes that didn’t feel like they were specifically made to destroy my feet, I found something quite strange. It’s a devise called the BobbleOff and it is for getting small bits of fluff or lint off your suits.

“Bobbles can ruin the look of your favorite suit or dress. They make clothing look old, tired and worn out. But now you can say goodbye to bobbles forever- with the fantastic BobbleOff…”
 
The BobbleOff


This is obviously a very thoughtful but utterly pointless gift that someone got for my dad. I can understand why it was abandoned and alone, stuffed in the back next to an old pair of sneakers. When turning the machine on it sounds like an angry hornets nest and looks like it would be used as a prop in a Star Trek episode.  I can understand why someone would want something like this but is it really necessary to have a perfectly sparkling suit with no fluff or creases?

Today was the first day wearing my suit and looking formal to lectures. Still feeling awkward you ask?

I understand how some people think wearing a suit provides them with a certain level of importance and stature. Fancy shoes and a smart haircut obviously mean that I’m a hard working individual who doesn’t drink, smoke or fornicate. Society is definitely visually based.

Someone said to me today, “I never thought I would see you in a suit.” And why should they?

 At first glance people give you a higher sense of respect because of the clothes that you are wearing. In many cases I get how this can give you more confidence as a person and a stronger incentive to work. But let me be the first to tell you that if you need extravagant clothes to give you confidence, you got problems. The second you open your mouth, all those people who might think you have a great suit, forget about it and have to deal with the monkey wearing it.

“ ‘Cause a monkey in silk is a monkey no less “ – Sixto Rodriguez

I don’t enjoy how people can so easily slap a label onto someone. Stereotyping. Sexist. Racist. Call it what you want. I try not to be judgmental towards anyone. People are so quick to analyze and assume things of others rather than trying to reason or understand.















Sixto Rodriguez
- Like Janis

And you measure for wealth by the things you can hold
And you measure for love by the sweet things you're told
And you live in the past of a dream that you're in
And your selfishness is your cardinal sin

And you want to be held with highest regard
If he likes you so much
If he's trying so hard
And you're trying to conceal your ordinary way
With a smile or a shrug
Or some stolen cliché

But don't you understand
And don't you look about
I'm trying to take nothing from you
So why should you act so put out, for me

'Cause emotionally, you're the same basic trip
And you know that I know of the times that you've slipped
So don't try to impress me
You're just pins and paint
And don't try to charm me
With things that you ain't

And don't try to enchant me with your manner of dress
'Cause a monkey in silk is a monkey no less
So measure for measure, reflect on my said
And when I won't see 'ya then measure it dead

'Cause don't you understand
And don't you look about
I'm trying to take nothing from you
So why should you act so put out

And sit there and wonder in doubt, for me

No comments:

Post a Comment